Early years 1978-1984

 As a kid, I loved puzzle books, Lego-building and challenges that required deep thinking.  I always felt a bit different in this regard, as I never fit in with the other girls on my elementary school playground playing with dolls and other stereotypical girl toys. 

test1
Teletype Device
Then, in 1979 when I was in the 8th grade, I was intrigued by a new class offered in my Junior High school, “Computer Math”.  I couldn’t wait to see what this was about and enthusiastically signed on.  I was the only girl in the class.  While that felt a bit daunting, the class content immediately pulled me in. We were using an early version of the Basic programming language.  There were no electronic displays, just a teletype device.  I started writing Basic programs and was hooked. 



I became so attached to this class that I would come into the classroom early before school started and experiment.  I remember typing a command that listed games available in some sort of public library, and was intrigued.  I believe this was a precursor to what would later become the World Wide Web.  One of my favorite games during this era was what I knew simply as “Adventure and I can still remember the countless hours spent trying to navigate out of the “twisty maze” by drawing a map on paper. For more history on the Adventure game, click here .


As the marking period ended, my teacher pulled me aside and told me I had a gift for programming, and if I was ever trying to figure out what to do for a career, I should consider something in this field.  Then he sent home a note to my parents about how I excelled in his class.  Given that feedback from other teachers was consistently along the lines of “talks too much”, “cannot sit still”, receiving this feedback was just what I needed to boost my self-esteem (Thank you Mr. Fred Zimmerman!)


Radio Shack's TRS-80
As a teenage girl in the early 80s, I was not entirely unlike my peers and spent much time with friends at the local mall; however, instead of being drawn to clothing stores and make-up counters, I took any chance I had to break away from my friends, sneak into Radio Shack stores and play with their newly introduced TRS-80 home computer. I would enter some Basic code so “Alyssa was here” would scroll on the screen 100 times.  I thought this was the coolest thing ever.



My beloved Timex Sinclair computer
- still lives in my closet!
Somewhere around this time, I received an amazing birthday present:  My beloved Timex Sinclair 1000 computerThis cute device came with 2k of memory, but I splurged and purchased the 16K memory add-on.  Unfortunately, plugging in the 16k memory extension caused significant interference on the TV display required to use the device, frustrating me to no end.  I saved programs I created onto a tape recorder and could retrieve them by putting tape in the player and entering the “load” command, causing the tape to spin and spin, and, if I was lucky, successfully restore onto the device.   For more information on the Timex Sinclair 1000 click here.


When high school rolled around, I was able to choose between two programming classes: Cobol or Fortran, and I chose Fortran.  Again, I was either the only or one of very few girls in the class and again, my love of programming was reinforced. 


Please continue reading the next chapter in my blog: College and Early Career 1984-1993

Comments

  1. This was so fun reading, because I got into computers around the same time, and had similar experiences. I started in the 6th or 7th grade, using a teletype similar to the one you show. At the end of the school year, they told us our accounts would be wiped over the summer, and so I turned on the tape puncher and listed all of my BASIC programs. It was the first time I ever saved code to a computer-readable storage medium. (I often listed my BASIC apps on paper for troubleshooting, or to share with other students, but I didn't think of it as "saving" because there was no way to get that back into the computer.

    At the beginning of the following school year, I logged into my new (empty) account, and proceeded to load all my old programs from the paper tape. I thought it was amazing!

    Like you, I also would write simple 2 or 3 line BASIC apps on computers in stores. I remember that MS BASIC that was included with new PCs (circa 1981) had a command to play a sound with a given frequency, something like "SOUND 100" to play a sound at 100Hz.). My code looked like this:
    10 a=1
    20 play a
    30 a=a+1
    40 goto 20

    I hit play and it immediately started playing a tone that started low, then got higher and higher in pitch, getting more annoying as it continued. I tried to casually walk away, but got caught. The people working there apparently didn't know about CTRL-C, and they wouldn't let me touch it again. They just unplugged the computer to make it stop.

    I wasn't welcome in the store again. I later tried the same trick at a different store, but put in a delay so the sound didn't start playing until I was at another part of the store looking at something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting cuz. My first job in 1974 after graduating college was a teletype operator for a Commodities Exchange Firm in St. Louis. The brokers needed their orders executed rapidly and perfectly to The Chicago Mercantile. If it was done correctly I received like a penny bonus commission. Needless to say I became a great typist and the pennies added up!. It was so much fun having an element of gambling on the job!. Unfortunately now I'm a complete technodummy lol. I just do email and play Words With Friends.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

College and Early Career 1984-1993

Future Directions