Microsoft Power Platform

I continued to develop my predominant projects at CINJ, Qualtrac and Onelook, using Microsoft Access 365 and the techniques I had developed through the years. Now that we could run these applications in a Microsoft Azure virtual environment (VDI), I no longer had the overhead of managing individual installations on individual machines. This greatly simplified what was needed to manage our multi-user implementations.

One day I got curious about the Rutgers-sanctioned apps that were available to me on my work cellphone. In particular, there was an app from Microsoft called “Flow” that piqued my curiosity. 


I downloaded this Flow app (which was later renamed to Power Automate) and additionally started exploring the Web-based version of the application. I was intrigued. This was a tool that enabled a way to create sophisticated, automated workflows using graphical action “blocks” as opposed to writing computer code. Using Power Automate, we could now connect the applications we were using in Microsoft 365 via triggers and actions.  
 
For example, we used to have a paper-based vacation request form and process. With minimal effort, we were able to convert this to an online process using a Microsoft Forms based request form triggering a Power Automate approval flow. Utilizing Power Automate we started automating more and more of Radonc’s processes, transforming the way our department works. 
 
Using Power Automate, we could now automate much of the workflow surrounding the usage of Qualtrac and Onelook. With Sunita and Sharda’s input, we carefully designed appropriate automated workflows to minimize any chance of user frustration and errors, while keeping our data clean. For example, we use Power Automate to send out monthly reminders to each Admin: It is now time to enter your data for the monthly Dean’s Report. Please enter in the OneLook database and click this button when complete”. 
 
I learned that Power Automate is just one of the applications Microsoft is rolling out as part of their low-code suite of tools known as Power Platform. Also included are Power Apps (to build applications for phones, tablets or Web), Power BI (to create Business Intelligence dashboards), Power Virtual Agents and Power Pages. We are super excited to integrate and expand the use of these technologies in our department.


I am also doing a more formal “deep dive” into Microsoft technologies for the first time in my career. This year I have attained two Microsoft Certifications and plan on pursuing more.


This year, I also attended my first Microsoft conference in Orlando, Microsoft Power Platform 2022. I continue to be inspired by the enthusiasm and excitement of this community and the things we might be able to build by harnessing the power of the Power Platform.


Here I am at #MPPC2022 with some fun dragons
( who I later learned were Microsoft MVPs David Warner and Hugo Bernier)

Please read the next chapter of my blog: Future Directions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early years 1978-1984

College and Early Career 1984-1993

Future Directions